Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42

Thread: Film School

  1. #31
    Inactive Member GREATwarEAGLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2002
    Posts
    530
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sounds like someone has some issues
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah. I've got tons a issues.

    It does sound like Im pissed huh? Kinda funny. I just felt like posting in a non-formal manner for once. Im usually pretty well spoken. This was my "I dont give a fuck post"

    And you're absolutely right Alex.

    And not necessarily windowslaws.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 01, 2004 11:02 PM: Message edited by: GREATwarEAGLE ]</font>

  2. #32
    Inactive Member belovedmonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2003
    Posts
    554
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i just think its a stupid attitude to have... its not like its self degrading to be a runner, its just not a very good job.

    As much as i would hate to be a tea boy if it was a realistic way into the business (which it is) i think you would be dumb to automaticly dismiss it. Saying you are someones bitch is the most over dramatic silly thing ive heard of this board in a while.

  3. #33
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by GREATwarEAGLE:
    Friendly debate:

    1. It sounds like you have had a bad experience with film school.

    2. Who says a film a school grad has to become a runner?

    3. A film school grad can do whatever they want.

    4. And how is being in film school taking yourself off the market? And what is the market? Perhaps not all filmmakers even wanna be in "the market."

    5. Also, who says film school grads dont do the shitty jobs as well?

    6. I have never been a runner and will never be a runner. I will never ever be someone elses bitch.

    7. And yes, some film schools might make their students their btiches....but not ALL film schools. And you only become someones bitch if you allow them to treat you as such.

    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ January 01, 2004 08:15 PM: Message edited by: GREATwarEAGLE ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think once more the nuances of text lose my tone in translation

    1. I have never been to film school. I often thought of applying but never quite considered myself interested enough in another 3 years of more of institutionalised education.

    2. Not me. If you re-read my original post: but I do say only a few bypass the runner stage.

    3. Agreed. So can a non filmschool grad, so what is your point?

    4. The market for paid professional work with true industry insiders.

    5. Not me. But I think a few filmschool grads could be in for a rude awakening.

    6. I think you misunderstand a runner's duties, it's quite obvious you have never been a runner. Have you never heard the phrase "be nice to your runner, because you never know when you might be working for them."

    7. This was meant to imply that only a few filmschools are worth attending because they are run by industry insiders. It's a leg up over schools run purely for profit. The NTFS vs ILFS comes to mind. NTFS will give you a place on merit, ILFS will give you a place if you buy it.

    It's not what you know, it's who you know.

  4. #34
    windowslaws
    Guest windowslaws's Avatar

    Post

    nothing about my post was wrong.

    you sounded pissed, which is pretty subjective.

    and i was explaining what was meant by someone else.

  5. #35
    Inactive Member Vlad the Impaler's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 3rd, 2001
    Posts
    334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm really interested in film (obviously being a member on this board) but when choosing my degree I had to think very hard whether I was going to do something film related. I chose music eventually, because this I have a more established talent and a lot more equipment to train on for myself. Hopefully one day I can combine them both together, i'm on my first year at the moment but eventually I'll be studying modules on music in film :-/!

    I am really interested in film school though... where are they in england? (I'm in the North West).

  6. #36
    Inactive Member GREATwarEAGLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2002
    Posts
    530
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    All good points. And also, I began with Friendly debate.

    In an attempt to settle this peacefully without dragging it out.

    -If you havent been to film school, how can you have a negative opinion of it?

    -I dont believe film school is for everyone. Plenty of students go and dont even try, then blame the school for their faliure

    -good point about treating the runner nicely. I agree. Unfortunately, its not always reality.

    My "bitch" comment:
    Because of my past life experiences, I have become someone who if I have something to say - Im gonna say it. Unapologetically. And I mean that in the sense of my films. I may "go" in car crash tomorrow, or live for another 50 years. I cant, with a good conscious, make someone elses film. I have plenty of things of my own to say.

    But enough about me (this isnt why I posted) I was defending the option of film school. I simply feel it shouldnt be automically avoided, but rather carefully considered.
    I think once more the nuances of text lose my tone in translation
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Tell me about it. People thought my post was one of anger. As if none of that could be said with a sense of humor. But I understand. Just ignore HOW I said what I said and pay attention to WHAT I said.

    I rarely, RARLEY ever lose my cool anymore. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 02, 2004 12:52 PM: Message edited by: GREATwarEAGLE ]</font>

  7. #37
    Inactive Member Typhin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 9th, 2003
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Surely if you enjoy Film School you're going to try? and if you try there's more chance of passing?

  8. #38
    Inactive Member nate_dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2001
    Posts
    115
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I applied to film schools here and got into some but decided to work for the year.

    I've worked as a PA on a couple of productions as well as for a tv show. I've talked to everyone I could from amateur electicians to producers w/ over 25 years experience. I've now decided not to apply for film school because it's not neccessary. The industry is about word of mouth, if you're good at your job then that's it.

    A grip I talked to has been working up becoming a grip his whole career, about 10-15 years. When he entered film school he, as well as everyone else, aspired to become a director.

    Most film graduates I've talked to says that film school is really good for the 1st year but becomes repetative and drawn-on.

    There is a lot of freelancing involved in the film/television industry so I've decided to take business and history instead. I've come to believe that an educated filmmaker should not only be educated in film. They should expand and learn things they wouldn't normally be interested in.

    I'm not gonna 'live and breathe' film for the next 4 years cuz I might get smothered. If I take a break for a while with the occasional project here and there, I may return with more insight and a new enthusiasm.

  9. #39
    Inactive Member Cinemaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 4th, 1999
    Posts
    65
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Anyone have an opinion on RAINDANCE courses?.

    They sound like they are for me, short, cheap informative weekend and evening classes by established names giving all the vital technical information you need, which when taken in combination with each other form a diploma which is fairly well known while allowing you to network with other filmakers, while not taking four years or the budget of a few good feature films like "proper" film school.

    That said if anyone has anything negative to tell me about Raindance, I'd like to hear it now b4 i give them me cash [img]smile.gif[/img] .

  10. #40
    Inactive Member GREATwarEAGLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2002
    Posts
    530
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I meant to post this link a while ago but forgot. It has many answers to many questions regarding film scools.

    LOAFS

    Just keep in mind that it's people's opinions, of course.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 09, 2004 12:12 PM: Message edited by: GREATwarEAGLE ]</font>

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •